National Chung Cheng University (a.k.a. Meteor Garden's Yingde University)

Wednesday, February 27, 2013




When I got to Chiayi Station, I still have some hours to spare so I thought of going to Yingde... what I mean is National Chung Cheng University.

Chiayi Station

I went inside Chiayi Station and proceeded to the visitor center to ask for transportation to and from the university.  I could take the train to Minxiong (NTD15-18, depending on the train) and take a cab from there or take the bus directly to CCU (NTD41; would take about an hour ride). 

Chiayi to CCU

At first, I thought of just taking the bus so I went to the bus station in front of Chiayi Station.  But, after doing some math on the time I have, I decided to just take the train.

Note: Not all the buses stop in front of CCU, some of it only stops at Nanhua University.  In this case, that is where you would need to get off, and walk to CCU.

Bus timetable at the bus station in front of Chiayi Station

Chiayi to Minxiong

Take the exit on the left of the station.  Going down the stairs, I saw some cabs parked there waiting for passengers.  I took one to CCU.  The ride cost about NTD200.  That's actually the first time I took a cab in Taiwan and that's when I knew that flag down rate is NTD100.  The cab driver gave me a calling card which he insisted I take.

A name card the cab driver gave me

After 10 minutes, I arrived at my destination.  I only have an hour or less to spare here so I started exploring right away.


CCU

CCU

CCU
CCU Campus Map (from www.ait.ccu.edu.tw)


CCU

CCU
View of the Tranquility Bridge

CCU

CCU

CCU

CCU

CCU

CCU

CCU
Gymnasium

CCU

CCU

CCU

After a little bit of the tour inside the campus, went out of the main gate waiting for a cab.  After a few minutes, I noticed no public transportation pass by the area.  Maybe, it would just be the bus (on a not so frequent schedule) and cabs, if they ever took someone to the area.  Oh no! I have a flight to catch!  I walked a bit and went into a convenience store and asked them if they could call a cab for me (I haven't seen a public pay phone in the area).  I guess they don't want to do that for me nor let me use their phone (now I see why the cab driver insisted for me to take the calling card).  Good thing, a student helped me out.  She called a cab for me and informed them of my location.  She then gave me the number of the cab.  I waited outside and I saw the nice lady still looking out for me until the cab came.  Whew! What a relief!  Thanks to that Taiwanese student!

So, a tip for those wanting to visit this university, it might be better if you have a mobile phone so that you could call a cab in case you need to.

CCU
Outside the campus and the street back to Chiayi
The cab fare from CCU directly to Chiayi Station costs around NTD350 and takes about 20-30 minutes. 

FYI:  There's a luggage counter on the left side of the station if you need to leave some luggage.  Sorry, I just forgot the rates.



10 comments:

  1. Hi did you try to go inside to one of those buildings? Is it okay to go in just to see the facilities? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you tried to go inside of those buildings? Is it possible to go there just to see the facilities? Thankyou!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't really gone inside the buildings but I've passed through one or two of those. So, I guess it's ok.

      Delete
  3. Hi, May I know how did you get to Chiayi from Taipei? and how long? Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I took the train from Taipei Main Station. You could take either the HSR (about 1.5hr) or the TRA. You can check out http://tripsbyliz.blogspot.com/2013/02/the-road-to-alishan.html for more information.

      Delete
    2. Thank you. It seems like you took TRA to CCU? May I know what is travel time? We are thinking of going here through bus. The CCU website says it takes 3.5 hrs. Do you also know if the campus is open for visitors on a Sunday?
      Thanks in advance!

      Delete
    3. I took the TRA from Chiayi station, as this is where I was dropped off by the van from Alishan. However, CCU is still a bit far from Minxiong station and you still have to take a cab from there. From CCU, I took the cab back to Chiayi station where I left my luggage.

      I'm not sure about the buses that go to Chiayi since I haven't used that. But, from tourist information in Chiayi station, they said there's a bus that stops either front gate or a bit further from the back gate of CCU.

      Delete
  4. So is this really the university from Meteor Garden? I saw another blog about Meteor Garden's university, and the blogger posted pictures from National Taiwan University (the pictures she posted don't even match the pictures from the series.lol). I think you got the right one! ;) I am planning to go. Ahhh, thanks for this post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi do you think its open on sunday?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for sharing your experience. Is there a registration required before entering the university?

    ReplyDelete