Alishan Sunrise Trip

Wednesday, February 27, 2013



The Alishan sunrise is one of the unique wonders of Alishan.  A lot of people go here to see the infamous sunrise.  However, for tourists like me, it's a matter of chance.  It is said that the best season for sunrise viewing is end of fall to February.

I checked on the weather forecasts online and I saw it would be cloudy with a bit of rain.  Knowing that, I still proceeded with a bit of hope.  I was up by 3AM, took a bath and had my things packed.  At 4:30AM, I started walking towards Alishan Station.


Going to Alishan Station
When I got there, the station isn't open yet, but it did a few minutes later.  I went straight to the platform level (2nd floor) as I already bought my ticket the day before.  Most of the people still lined up at the ticket counter which is still closed.  I was the third in line at the entrance of the platform.  It was about 15 minutes later when the line got long, I guess the ticket counter might already be open.  The train left Alishan Station around 5:45 for the 30-minute ride to Zhushan Staion.

Tip: Buy your tickets the day before.  The station pre-sells these tickets from 2-5PM.

Alishan Station is still closed when I got there
It opened a few minutes later
While waiting in line
People eagerly waiting for the train
Here comes the train
Arrived at Zhushan Station after 30 minutes
Zhushan Station
Zhushan Station
At the exit of the station, information on the time of sunrise and the last train are posted.  Zhushan view deck is just a few steps from the top of these steep steps.  Most of the people stay here and wait for the sunrise.  There are stalls here selling some snacks, water and coffee.

Zhushan Station Exit
Zhushan View Deck
If you feel the area is too crowded (and you still have some time), you can go to Ogasawara view deck.  It's about a 15-minute walk (not stopping for sight-seeing) on the path to the right of the station's exit. Be prepared for an uphill trek.  You can't be lost on this path as it only leads to the view deck.  You would also pass by a botanical garden (I checked it out a bit on the way down).

Path to Ogasawara view deck

It is more peaceful here (and quiet), far from the chatting of numerous other tourists and the loud megaphones of the tour guides.  The area, in my opinion is more serene, plus you can get a 360 degree view of the surrounding mountains.  It's just that it was too cloudy I didn't get to experience Alishan sunrise, maybe next time.






The sun has already risen


After a few more minutes, the sun is already up, so it's time to head back to the Zhushan station.  I need to catch the last train from here.  Otherwise, I would need to walk back to Zhaoping or all the way to Alishan Station.  I stopped by Alpine Botanical Garden but did not enter (it's not yet open that early anyway) but one can get a glimpse of the garden from the entrance.


The path on the way back to the station is more downhill so it took less time going back.  It was a relief that I was able to catch the train.  The way back to Alishan Station is scenic, with the budding cherry blossoms at the side of the tracks.
 
Walking back to Zhushan Station

Zhushan Station




3 comments:

  1. Dear Liz,
    I read this for my reference to Taiwan. For sunrise trip, what time the last train depart from Alishan?
    Thank you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Alishan to Chu-shan train departures depend on the expected time of sunrise. It would be posted in the train station in the afternoon before the day when you'll try to catch the sunrise.

      Delete
  2. when is the depart time of the train from chushan back to alishan? Is there only 1 train per day? Cuz I want to climb up to ogasawara but i'm afraid of missing the train back to alishan. TIA.

    ReplyDelete