Chiang-Kai Shek Memorial Hall

Saturday, February 23, 2013



Chiang-Kai Shek Memorial Hall is just a few minutes away from the hotel (by foot) so I thought I would start my tour there.

If taking the MTR, you won't get lost as you would need to get off at the station with the same name: Chiang-Kai Shek Memorial Hall.

The Memorial Hall is white with four sides. The octagonal roof rises 76 metres (249 ft) above the ground and is covered with blue glazed tiles. The blue and white colors of the building and the red colour of the flowerbeds echo the colours in the flag of the Republic of China. The octagonal shape picks up the symbolism of the number 8, a number traditionally associated in Asia with abundance and good fortune. Two sets of white stairs, each with 89 steps to represent Chiang's age at the time of his death, lead to the main entrance. The main entrance features a pair of double doors, each standing 16 meters high and weighing 75 tons, that open into the main hall. A large bronze statue of Chiang Kai-shek dominates the main hall.(Source: Wikipedia)

When I got there, the memorial hall is under construction.  It's ok though as I've already went up those stairs on my first trip to Taiwan.  Instead, I just went into the garden that surrounded it.























No comments:

Post a Comment