2013 Pingxi Sky Lantern Festival

Sunday, February 24, 2013



The Shifen Sky Lantern Square is across the Visitor Center.  A total of 2000 lanterns were released in the sky, 200 sky lanterns in 10 batches with the interval of 20 minutes.  The schedule was to start at 6PM and end at 9PM.

I got there mid-afternoon and there were already a lot of people in the area.  Most of them have already set up their tripods outside the "perimeter fence".  The enclosed area is numbered so that participants would be in their respective boxes.

Around 12NN, the registration for participants started.  One group could register for one sky lantern.  It is on a first-come, first-serve basis and anybody could register.  I didn't bother to be there early as I believe it would be worth if I am with a group.  The groups were allowed in the enclosed area at a specified time, depending on the batch of the sky lantern they released.  There is an assigned usher/usherette (ones with the purple cap) for each participant to guide them on the timings.



Shifen Area Map

Stage used for the event

Enclosed (numbered) area and the tripods (with its owners) positioned outside it

Ushers being briefed

Almost ready for the first batch of release

I have planned to stay only for the first batch of release.  I wanted to leave early as I felt it would be difficult to get back to the city, whether by train or by bus, if I stayed up to the end.  However, I was so amazed after the first release that I stayed for 2 more (I'll just let the pictures speak for itself).  That's my limit and I have to drag myself out of the area after that.

The program included some performances and words from some officials that made the event a success.  It was during this time that the next batch of the participants position themselves and prepare for the releasing of sky lanterns.  For each release, there was one big lantern that goes with it.  The first and third ones have big white lanterns while the second had a big green snake lantern.













That's it! I've reached my limit and so I left.  There was a long queue going out of the area and the line was slow moving.  A lot of people are already on the way home by this time and are walking a bit slow because of the huge crowd.  I went past most of them.  But then, I came to a stopping point.  I saw the long line to the buses.  It wasn't actually a line but people crowding the street to go to the buses.  It took me two hours before I was able to board the bus.  Whew!  In a way, I was able to see all the 10 releases while in the line.  The colorful, dancing lights of the Jingan Suspension Bridge and some fireworks also kept the people entertained.

Line to the buses

Fireworks and colorful/dancing lights of Jingan Suspension Bridge
When I got back to Taipei Zoo Station, I ate dinner at McDonalds and took the MRT back to the hotel.  I got there before 12MN.  It was tiring but it was a wonderful experience.

For more information on the event, please go to this link.


No comments:

Post a Comment