The European Dream (2014)

Friday, April 4, 2014



"A dream will remain just a dream if you don't act on it."

It's a dream of many Filipinos to go on a European tour, including me. It's a tedious process since you have to prepare almost everything before applying for a visa. Add the fact that you already have to procure the travel insurance before this.

This year, it has came true for me. The planning took about a month (itinerary, flight and accommodation options). Once we had everything planned out, we prepared the documents needed for the visa.  My Schengen visa application took almost 3 weeks, my friend who applied in Singapore got hers in 3 days.

And so, after months of preparation, we were on our way to Europe.  Have we not taken a chance on planning and applying for a visa, this would still be just a dream for us.


The Hassle in NAIA Terminal 1

I got to Terminal 1 about 2.5 hours before the flight.  Check-in was a breeze.  There was a line in the terminal fee counter, but that was tolerable.  The issue came at the immigration line.  The line had gone past the terminal fee counters and is moving too slow.  Had I known, I would have been at the airport earlier.  It took almost 2 hours for me to get past immigration.  I was really worried since flight time is already in a few minutes.  I was rushing past security then through the gates.  I guess all flights are delayed as most of it are waiting for their passengers who were still in the immigration line.  My flight was delayed for almost an hour, then almost another hour from waiting at the runway.  And, finally, the plane took off.

My friend was already waiting for me at KUL airport, we would be on the same flight to Paris CDG.  She was getting worried as it's already boarding and my flight still hasn't landed.  10 minutes before the scheduled time of my connecting flight, I was running out of the plane and to the gate.  It turned out that there are other passengers from the Manila flight going to Paris.  Woohoo! We made it.  My friend, who was already inside the plane, was happy when I showed up.


Arrival at CDG


After hours of flight time, we reached our destination.  Paris, here we are!


But then came another problem, which I already had in mind, my check-in didn't make it to the flight.  We filed a report at the luggage services counter, left the address of the hotel we're staying for them to deliver it.  We were assured that the luggage would be in the next available flight, which is same time the following day.  Good thing I got extra set of clothes in my backpack, which I think would be a must now that I know it's importance. [Update: It was delivered afternoon of the next day.  I'll be filing a claim with the insurance for baggage delay.]


Itinerary

Apr 4-5Manila (MNL) to Paris (CDG) via Malaysia Airlines
Apr 5-7Paris, France
Apr 7Paris (ORY) to Barcelona (BCN) via Vueling Airlines
Apr 7-9Barcelona, Spain
Apr 9Barcelona (BCN) to Rome (FCO) via Vueling Airlines
Apr 9-13Rome, Italy
Apr 13Rome (FCO) to Prague (PRA) via Smart Wings/Czech Arilines
Apr 13-15Prague, Czech Republic
Apr 15-16Overnight train from Prague to Budapest
Apr 16-18Budapest, Hungary
Apr 18Budapest (BUD) to Eindhoven (EIN) via Wizz Air
Apr 18-20Holland, The Netherlands
Apr 20-21Amsterdam (AMS) to Manila (MNL) via Malaysia Airlines



I'll update the itinerary links as it becomes available.



[Update #1: I've submitted a claim for baggage delay at Blue Cross' annex building in P. Burgos Street, Makati (blue building almost at the end of P. Burgos near Makati Avenue).  Together with the Notification of Claim, I've also submitted the Property Irregularity Report (document given to me by Malaysia Airlines personnel when I filed the baggage delay at CDG airport), the luggage tag that came with my bag when it was delivered (I have no proof of the time of arrival of the luggage, but the luggage tag shows some date and time so that's what I submitted) and my flight itinerary (which shows the date and time of my arrival in CDG).  I was told that verification would take 3-5 working days and processing of payment would be from 2-3 weeks.  So, that's about 4 weeks of waiting.  I opted for the payment to be a check payment in USD (no option for Euro) so I would need to pickup the check at their office.  I would be notified via email when the check would be ready.  Note: They can do direct deposit to HSBC/BDO/Metrobank accounts but since I don't have those, my only option is check payment.]

[Update #2: After almost 3 weeks after filing of claim (and 2 follow-up calls), I received an email that the check is ready for pick-up.  The amount of check was Euro70, but converted to USD (about USD96).  I picked it up at the 4/F of their main office, which is just around the corner from where I filed the claim.  This office is the one along Makati Avenue.]

[Update #3: The check given to me by Blue Cross was not accepted by BPI, I forgot their explanation about it.  They could encash the check but minimum is USD100.  So, what I did is to just encash the check on the nearest HSBC branch.
 

2 comments:

  1. Hi Liz! I just want to know how much it cost you for your Eurotrip 2014? I'm a little bit worried in applying Schengen Visa since I only have one savings account but I had a Korean Visa + stamps from my South East Asia tour. Do they have this "show money" thing?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tom, I guess the cost would depend on how long your trip would take and how you want to travel. You have to submit some proof of economic means (i.e. bank certification, bank statements) when applying for the visa (please refer to this post for requirements: http://tripsbyliz.blogspot.com/2014/02/applying-for-schengen-visa-at-italian.html). Though I don't think having only one savings account would be a problem.

      Delete