Applying for an International Driving Permit in the Philippines (2014)

Friday, March 28, 2014



An International Driving Permit (IDP) allows the holder to drive in another country.  Some countries allow tourists to drive in their country for a certain number of days during the visit but there are also some who require IDP or International Driver's License.

Here in the Philippines, IDP is being issued by Automobile Association of the Philippines (AAP).  For one to be able to apply for IDP, he/she has to be a member of AAP.  It is a benefit given only to their members.

Please note, as per notices I've read in their office, that Philippine International Driving Permit is not accepted in Taiwan and there are some limitations in other countries (e.g. Japan).

Requirements:
- AAP Regular Membership (New enrollee - PhP1,500) [An annual membership fee has to be paid by members]
- Original and photocopy of Philippine Driving License
- Two pieces 2x2 or passport size color ID picture [I think it's better to have 2x2 so that the picture wouldn't be stretched to become square]
- Processing fee (PhP300) 
- Optional: OR/CR of vehicle

Above mentioned requirements are for Filipinos applying personally at their office.  More information on IDP can be seen here.

I have not much time left before my trip so I opted to go to their EDSA office.  As per their website, it only takes 30 minutes to 1 hour to process IDP in this office.  Other offices take around 2+ days to process since they also forward those applications to the EDSA office.

Note: If applying for IDP and is a new member, you can just submit IDP application form.  That would also serve as your AAP membership application.  You can download the form here or you could submit your application online.

Getting there:  It is in EDSA Southbound, after Ford EDSA.  It's in the odd-shape building that's colored blue and yellow (at least for now?).


Building facade from the website


Validity:
The IDP would follow the expiration date of your license or will be valid for one year, whichever comes first.

If you're license is about to expire, have it renewed first.  I have planned to renew my driver's license before going there.  Unfortunately, DLRC in SM Megamall has already closed so I hadn't been able to renew my license.  Since I don't have time to do this at some other day before my trip, then I just got IDP even if it expires in September.

I was told that if I need an IDP after September, then I would need to pay PhP1,500 (PhP1,200 for the extension of my membership for another year and PhP300 for the processing fee of IDP valid for one year).


Process:
I got there around 1:30PM on a Friday afternoon.  There's a reception when I entered the building (entrance along EDSA).  Application forms are also available there.  The guard will check your requirements and ask you to proceed to Window 2.  Applications and driver's licenses are received in this window.  

You will then be given a number and have to wait.  Although, the website states that processing only takes 30-minute to an hour, mine was 1 1/2 hour.  This might be attributable to their system slow down during that day and a higher number of applicants since they were closed yesterday.  My number is the 15th on queue.  Good thing there's free coffee for visitors (at the back of the waiting area), you just have to get a cup on a cubicle near it.


Alas, after about 1hr 15minutes, my number was called in Window 3.  I was given back the paper and proceeded to Window 4 for payment.  Total payment was PhP1800 (PhP1500 for first-time AAP membership and PhP300 IDP processing fee).  Then, I went back to Window 3 for claiming of my membership card, insurance, an AAP member sticker for my car and IDP.

AAP Membership ID

Insurance

IDP

There goes, I'm now a member of AAP and have my IDP (valid until my license expires in September).  Don't forget to check the details of your documents before you leave.



28 comments:

  1. I have planned to renew my driver's license before going there. Unfortunately, DLRC in SM Megamall has already closed so I hadn't been able to renew my license.

    International Driver's License

    ReplyDelete
  2. international driver license, international drivers license, international driver permit, international drivers permit, international driver document, international drivers document

    ReplyDelete
  3. on website:
    The PIDP is one of the privileges enjoyed by club members. It allows you to drive private and rental cars overseas. Some countries may not require a PIDP but the car rental companies in that country may require one.

    Requirements
    1) AAP Regular membership (P2,000)
    2) Original and photocopy of valid Philippine Driving License
    3) Two pieces 2”x2” or passport size color ID picture, white background
    4) Foreign nationals, dual citizens must present the original passport, photocopies of pages showing date of last arrival. Permanent residents, must present passport and Alien Certificate Registration along with requirements no. 1, 2 and 3.
    5) Authorization and any valid ID of representative in case of non-appearance
    6) Processing fee Php 1,000



    * OFWs presenting valid OFW ID and official receipt from POEA which includes OWWA membership fee are entitled to 20% discount on membership.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for that update. I believe they had the change in fees months after I applied gor IDP.

      Delete
  4. Hi. Hope somebody answer my questions. So, my husband is overseas and is having hard time getting driver's license in that country. My questions are, can he just get his international license here and i am his representative? And if so, what are the requirements? Thank you very much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, I think you could apply for your husband's IDP (International Driving Permit) but you might need to have his original Philippine Driver's License. It might be better to check with AAP directly. You could also check their site (http://www.aaphilippines.org/faq.aspx?pages=faq-international-driving-permit) for other information.

      Delete
    2. If you don have the physical card, get a printed data of his license from LTO, it is valid.

      Delete
  5. Hi, do you still have your OR for this or do they not give you one?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Is there other requirements if i have PIDP & i wish to use it in Japan during my business trip?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you Liz, it is a big help!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for sharing! :) this is such a big help :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. How to renew my IDP to the Philippines im residents in canada.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Optional Requirements on applying IDP (O.R./ C.R. of vehicle registered)?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just got my IDP specifically for Japan and I plan on using it when we visit in Oct. May I know what the IDP limitations are for Japan?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Really a great addition. I have read this marvelous post. Thanks for sharing information about it. I really like that. Thanks so lot for your convene. Site

    ReplyDelete
  13. Pwede poh ba mag apply IDP kung walang passport

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi, thanks for the informative blog. I plan to get IDP because I'll be soon working in Japan. However, I'm just a bit worried since you mentioned there are limitations for this permit in Taiwan and Japan. Do you know the details about it? Can you somehow expound? Your response will be greatly appreciated. Thank you and God bless!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. when you're going to japan, you should have stayed six months out of Jaoan to get international driving permit

      Delete
  15. HELP ANYONE!.. I renewed my LTO driver's license last Dec. 29, 2016 and was issued an Official Receipt that has a mark on it saying "Valid as Temporary Driver's License until the issuance of the new card is released" NO DL CARD AVAILABLE .....Can anyone please answer me if I can use this to apply for "International License" instead of the actual plastic card? Just want to make sure I have all the requirements before I leave for Manila to get one, one thing more I already got the 5 years validity, Thanks :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OR FROM LTO is enough as long as it indicates the date of validity of the license

      Delete
    2. PIDP FEES IS NOW 3, 500 PESOS. PLUS MEMBERSHIP

      Delete
  16. hi, planning to apply fo PDIP, my license was issued last december 2016 but no DL card yet, only temporary drivers permit printed behind my LTO OR.. is it valid? also, ive read post that it will only cost 1800 in total to apply for PDIP, but on website states that PDIP fee is 3500, which is true? pls help..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Vincent, you might need to check with them regarding your DL. As for the fee, I believe 3500 includes AAP membership fee. It might have been included as you can't get PDIP if you're not an AAP member.

      Delete
  17. I am glad to be a visitant of this gross web blog ! , regards for this rare info ! . click for source

    ReplyDelete

  18. Live Wire Apps.
    Live Wire Apps is an Award Winning technology company working with global Enterprises, SME’s and forward-thinking Start-Ups as their end-to-endsolution partners by building digital products, custom-tailored software,web and mobile apps and accelerating growth. With the location in SanFrancisco, California, we believe we have the best attention meticulouscoders, obsessive product managers, design fanatics, early adopters, andmarketing magicians to help you grow your busienss.
    Visit our website for more information.
    livewireapps

    ReplyDelete
  19. Securing an International Driver License Canadais crucial for smooth travels. With IDLP, navigating foreign roads becomes hassle-free. Don't let bureaucracy delay your adventures; obtain your IDLP today and drive confidently wherever your wanderlust takes you!

    ReplyDelete