Hong Kong 2012 Getaway

Saturday, December 1, 2012



I can say that HK is one of my favorite out-of-the-country getaways... lots of promo airfares, numerous flights from different airlines, short flight from the Philippines, no visa needed, ease of use and efficiency of transportation system, cool weather, somehow cheaper electronics.

It was during a PH holiday weekend so the airfare we got is a bit pricey than most of the promo fares but it's still cheaper than the standard price, considering I bought it 10 days before our flight.

I considered the trip a break from the hectic work schedule.  We did not have an itinerary and just really wanted to have some relaxation.

Below is a summary of our trip.

Day 1:
- Peak Tram
- Victoria Peak
- HK Winterfest at Statue Square

Day 2
- Tung Chung
- sky100 Observation Deck
- Symphony of Lights
- 1881 Heritage

Day 3:
- Times Square
- IFC Mall/Hong Kong Station
- Airport Express


Accommodation

I was actually looking to book a room at Dragon Hostel (I've been there before and my experience was good) but it's fully booked so I decided to book some other hostel within the area.  I saw a budget hostel at Booking.com - Jiang Xi Guesthouse.  It is on the same building as Dragon Hostel and also has free wi-fi (connection is good in the alley but not inside the room).  The building is along Argyle Street and is within a few steps from the Ladies Market in Mongkok.

We booked a room for 2 with private bath.  The room that was given to us was on the far end of the alley where they have all the bedsheets hanged on a line for drying.  Our room was the first door inside the unit, no windows so it feels stuffy.  The dividers were thin and we have a young group as neighbors (occupying 2 rooms in the same unit) who were still happily chatting until the wee hours of the morning.

The beds are hip-high (for a 5'3" like me) so we have to jump a bit to get to bed.  Mattresses are thin but better than no mattress at all.  Hot and cold shower available.  Hot water (for coffee or noodles) is available upon request.

In summary, the room we got is not as I expected.  I think some of the rooms they have in the other units are more decent than the one we got but I guess they're also fully booked.  People at the reception only knows little English so it was a bit hard to communicate.  In case I'll be staying at a HK hostel again, I might not consider this on top of my list.


Jiang Xi Guesthouse Information
Sincere House Location


No comments:

Post a Comment